Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Going back down already travelled roads......

How do you revisit places you never thought you would have the opportunity to go back too?


I examined this question today while I was at work; because I am not getting any employees until Feb 6th and I do not yet have a computer log-in that will allow me to figure out what the heck I am supposed to be doing at work. I also worked two New York Times Crossword puzzles from my 1 crossword a week 2008 calendar.


I was trying to figure out what mattered more – my desire to reconnect with old work friends or my desire to not have to not see other people with whom I worked with in the past. I am happy to say that the desire to see old friends won out and in the end I was a winner. Instead of chomping down on another delicious Kashi granola bar at lunch, I took a walk to my old work area. I was delighted to see so many people that I used to enjoy working with. I even gave out a lot of hugs, which some folks know is often hard for me to do.... Not hard like the 'odd' characters on Boston Legal that like to keep their palms on their thighs but nonetheless not always my favorite thing to do.


Several inquired if I wanted to come back and work with them and I was able to give them a very honest and frank answer that left all of my options open. It was really nice to see someone who was from the first group of employees that I took through orientation, training, and was their supervisor. I even managed to schedule some dinner plans. I also found out that one of my favorite people in the world is going to be visiting my old work site in a week or two and I am looking forward to reconnecting with her.



Though it was only my 2nd day at work - I quickly remembered the best thing about working... getting to come home. Now that Cairo is back with me - nothing is more fun than chilling out in the evening with her sitting on my lap purring loud enough that I have to turn the TV up to hear it. Hopefully tomorrow I will venture around the installation on lunch and reconnect with more old friends and I won't even hesitate at the idea.


As a side note....
To answer the polite inquiries about acceptable hair color choices.... Never once in orientation or my subsequent reading of the Labor Management Agreement and Employee Handbook were acceptable hair color choices mentioned. This has led to not one single urge on my part to go out and get my hair dyed day-glo orange or green. Also not mentioned were acceptable locations or amounts of piercings and tattoos.

No comments: