Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Good Mexican Food

Something happened in New Albany while I was living in Michigan. The community has been greatly enriched by an increase in the number of Hispanics living in the area. This has led to many small businesses that cater the thriving community. So far the only one I have ventured into is La Rosita Mexican Grill on Market St. in New Albany. Tonight was my third trip there. I am definitely going back for a 4th visit.

The ingredients are fresh and prepared in an open kitchen so that the wonderful sounds and smells of the food being cooked heighten your palate while you wait. The service is attentive and I have always found the servers pleasant and able to explain any of the dishes on the menu.

Plates come to the table without the gummy pureed refried beans and bland rice. The veggies are al dente, with wonderful caramelized onions. The green sauce that I am so fond of has the perfect amount of salt and acid to highlight the tastes of the food beneath it. I am also fond of the dishes with egg in them and am working my way through them - much to my Mother's chagrin. (She feels eggs belong at breakfast.)

There is also a wide variety of vegetarian dishes that have proved to be tasty and not just the meat dishes minus the meat.

Someday I may be brave enough to try out one of the Hispanic grocery stores and attempt to cook something at home - until then I am happy to make the drive to downtown New Albany and enjoy a meal at La Rosita.

3 comments:

mzhughes said...

Yum! La Rosita's. The green sauce is my favorite too. I got my monthly direct deposit today...so we should try to go out soon!

Cybil said...

Weeeeeee Fun with Mel!

Mike said...

Cooking Mexican is easy, if I can learn how, so can you!