Sunday, February 3, 2008

Superbowl Sunday.....

The last handful of years I have spent Superbowl Sunday on Elm St. in Mount Pleasant. Today I am going to spend it at my parents. I am trying to think of how the parties will be different and how they will be the same. First I put on lipstick this morning before we left for church. I would never put on lipstick to go to visit the Elm St. gang.

On Elm St. my friends and I would gather though only a few would be interested in the game. Admittedly last year when the Colts were playing I was one of those highly interested in the game. I am fairly certain that Dad's friends will be more into the game and that Mom and I will end up in her Bedroom with Cinnamon and something other than football on the TV.

For me the fun part of the game started yesterday. I had the fun task of making chili that could please my parents tastes (I think Mom puts brown sugar in her chili) and not offend my ideas of what chili ought to be. In my world Chili does not have sugar in it and it should have a fair amount of spice with enough heat that you know you are eating chili. I decided to enhance the dish with the addition of a can of beer and a few shots of tequila in addition with adding color and a bit of bitterness with cocoa powder. Both mom and dad gave it their stamp of approval - though neither saw the amount of chili pepper I put in it. Like my good friend Bryce once said, "What my parents (Mom) don't know won't hurt them."

I anticipate that the atmosphere at Elm St. will be more relaxed than it will be here on Woodside Dr. We will also not have a Wii to play with should the game get boring or before and after the game. It will feel more formal here. Here I will worry about putting my drink down,even on a coaster. Here the dog will want attention but won't curl up on your feet if they are cold. There will not be a small invading horde or elementary and middle school aged children moving in a pack from bedrooms upstairs to the food table. I really do miss the fun that a handful of youngsters bring to any event. They have a level of energy to add that can be lost in the 30+ crowd when no children are present. There will be no puzzle to ponder over while discussing what we did on Saturday night as we tried to take over the world - or at least become wealthy in the world Larry set forth for us at D&D. I am pretty sure that today I will be the only one in the house with a tattoo!

All said though this party like any other will have all the elements that are needed to have fun - friends, food, drink, and entertainment. It is what you do with those elements that allow you to have fun - hopefully where ever each of you are you can find a place together and have your fun - whether you are a die-hard football fan, in it for the commercials, or hoping to see a flash of skin in a half-time show mishap.

Enjoy the afternoon and evening!
-Cyb

No comments: