Saturday, February 9, 2008

I have staff!

This was week 3 at my new job and I knew that my staff would start this week. The plan was that they would go to my unit between 11-12 on Tuesday. It was quite a surprise on Monday at 1:30 when I was informed that I needed to be at orientation at 2 to 'get' my staff. I had nothing planned for Monday to do with them, so I had to go into improv mode. Luckily they began work at 7 on Monday morning and I only had to 'wing' it for 90 minutes. From the start it looked like I had a pretty good group and my impressions were only confirmed as the week went on.

The week was pretty much a whirlwind after that. I made it through introductions of myself, the unit, our project, my definition of what makes a good supervisor, and 23 performance plans. We had a big meeting to which the union was invited and it too went well. On Thursday they even began getting the ability to log onto the computer system. On Friday we tried to work out all the kinks with logging into the computer system so that we can begin training on our project this coming Monday.

To top off the week, I had a job interview on Friday for a job as a Training Technician. The job would be for the same agency at the same site but in a different branch/location. I thought the interview went well and I am trying not to get my hopes up. If it doesn't pan out - its ok, I have a job that pays well has great benefits and if the first week is any indication I have some great employees in the unit.

On a personal note - I went out twice this week to dinner after work. Mom set up both dinners and attended (with her generous debit card in hand). The first was with a friend of hers, who I now consider my friend, and her friends daughter. I had a wonderful time. Neither B nor I remembered being in youth orchestra together or being on the same soccer team - but our moms assured us that both were true. We ate at the Mayan Cafe in downtown Louisville. The conversation, food, and wine were wonderful and I throughly enjoyed the night. On Wednesday we went out with a friend who taught with mom - before mom retired. That was loads of fun. I miss being with my favorite first grade teacher so this night caught me up and taught me the shenanigans administration pulls in Indiana are no different than are pulled in Michigan. That night we had dinner at the North End Cafe. This place may become my favorite spot in Louisville. We all ate veggie friendly that night - eggplant casserole on a bed of lentils, mushroom lasagna, and veggie enchiladas. We traded around bites of each other's meals - I am not sure which was best.

On Friday I got some devastating news from MtP that made me want to jump in my car and head up. My mom talked me out of that. Even if I were up there I couldn't fix the problem. So I am going to have to be a friend from afar. The whole thing reminds me that your family is a lot more than just your relatives;vI made some great friends in MtP and I consider them to be family. I am very lucky to have such an extended family and I realize that more than ever.

I am looking forward to spending some good time with my niece this evening. I hope everyone finds some time to relax over the weekend. I have every intention of relaxing and energizing myself for a intense week of training.

No comments: