Tuesday, February 19, 2008

A 2nd new job????

Is it true? Did I actually get a new job, again?

Why yes, as of 3:50 p.m. Friday, February 15, 2008 I was offered the job I so desperately wanted as of seeing it advertised in the middle of December 2007. I start on the 3rd of March. Which means I have two more weeks as a supervisor - if today is any indication these next two weeks are going to be a couple of long weeks.

While my weekend did not turn out like I planned, it was throughly enjoyable. I was lucky enough to help my niece Delaney celebrate her 10th birthday. I have not been around to help celebrate for quite a few years - so it was a special treat to be around for her first double digit birthday.

I have to brag about my mad baking skillz. Miss Delaney wanted a white cake with white icing. Since most of my birthday experience the past seven years has been at birthdays organized by Jody - I was almost knocked off my feet at the idea of a birthday without a chocolate cake. It would never occur to me that someone would want something other than chocolate.

I searched for a white cake recipe and ended up choosing one in The Art of Simple Food by Alice Waters. I made up a recipe for icing - I am not fond of icing made with lots of butter or shortening. The only problem turned out to be a oven that baked a tad high - but that did not deter from the taste. Though next time I will knock the oven setting down from the indicated 375.

In a Stephanie Plum moment I had leftover birthday cake for dinner. I would like to point out that I did show some restraint and did not have a beer with the cake.

I just read my favorite food author's blog: Michael Ruhlman http://blog.ruhlman.com/ and got more than one chuckle over his latest post (that was really a link) about his and Tony Bourdain's 2008 Golden Clog awards. It makes me wish I was going to be in Miami this next weekend - then I remember how hot and humid it is in Miami and Louisville will be just fine for the weekend.

I hope everyone is enjoying the beginning of a new week. I am already looking forward to the weekend!

No comments: